14 November 2007

Recipe Corner


Curried Sweet Potatoes with Spinach and Chickpeas


Straight outta The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas. I did not make this one up, I just made it for dinner.
Page 194.


2 large sweet potatoes
one 16-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
one 14 to 16 oz can diced tomatoes
10 to 12 ounces fresh spinach, well washed, stemmed, and coarsely chopped.
1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder (I used one heaping tsp)
salt to taste.

Bake the SPs in their skin until done but firm. (400 degrees, about an hour, give or take based on size.) Peel and cut into large chunks.

Cook chickpeas and tomatoes over medium heat in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer for 5-ish minutes.

Add spinach and cover. Cook briefly, until wilted, 5-ish minutes

Add sweet potatoes and curry and salt, cook over low heat, 5-ish minutes.

Usually I don't follow a recipe exactly (which is why I feel like they're actually mine when I post them here), but this one worked out just great to the letter. Served it with whole-wheat pita pan-fried (fried? sauteed?) in olive oil and my super simple version of cucumber raita: a cup of plain yogurt and half a decent-sized cucumber spun in the food processor.

I baked the potatoes the night before and just kept them in the fridge... so no baking time after work or waiting for those suckers to cool before peeling/ cutting. Made enough for me + A + some sweet potato chunks pulled out for Bird (HA, like she's eating sweet potato chunks, please) with enough left over for at least one lunch.

Delish! Go forth and make thine own curried sweet potatoes with chickpeas and spinach.

* Edited to Add: Not as good the second day. Still good, but the pita was all gone. Huge difference.

Tough Questions with Mama:
Do I like my job because I like doing what I do, or do I like my job because I'm good at it, and I like being good at things?

1 comment:

ND said...

don't you think that's probably one of the ultimate questions of life? how many of us enjoy doing things that we're bad at? or rather, how many things do we really enjoy doing that we're not good at?