06 December 2007

Recipe Corner: Black Bean Sandwiches

I have had this recipe in my giant folder since 1998, from a Country Living article about black beans. And tonight, in very-late 2007, I finally made it. The recipe was not actually for sandwiches, so I guess I did change it quite a bit, but I am kicking myself for not acting on it at any point in the last ten years. Delicious. This fed A. and I with one sandwich left over for lunch tomorrow (yum).

Black Bean Sandwiches

1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 tbsp Olive Oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 pieces flat whole wheat pita (not pocket pita)
Big handful fresh/ bagged spinach leaves
1 cup feta cheese crumbles (I am totally guessing on that measurement)
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 Roma tomatoes sliced about 1/4 inch thick (or you could use any kind of tomato, whatever)

1. Put the black beans in a food processor (or bowl for smooshing if you don't have a processor).

2. heat the oil and add garlic, oregano, and red pepper. Cook a couple of minutes, but don't let the garlic get burned-like.

3. Pour the oil mixture into the processor with the beans and puree.

4. Line a 9 X 13 baking dish with foil. Lay 2 of the pita in the pan and spread with bean mixture.*

5. Layer tomato slices, onion, feta, and spinach on the bean spread.

6. Spread the remaining pita with the rest of the beans and smoosh sandwiches together.

7. I covered it/ wrapped them but I don't think it's necessary-- bake at 275 for about 20 minutes.

*I found it easier to cut the pita in half before assembling-- so I made 4 smaller sandwiches instead of two big round pita sandwiches.

No comments: