20 September 2007

Blazzy Blazzy

As promised, here is my Mama's recipe for homemade, bullshit-free granola/ breakfast bars, which she suspects she adapted from a recipe printed in the oft-used, dog-eared, spiral bound cookbook that lived on top of our refrigerator throughout my childhood. It's still in print, probably updated, and I think I might just hafta buy myself a copy for old times' sake.

Granny's Granola Bars
1 1/4 cups peanut butter
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup brown sugar
5 cups granola (I used Cascadian Farms plain Granola)
1 cup raisins
  • combine first three ingredients over med heat until creamy
  • add granola and raisins + mix
  • press into 9 X 13 pan and chill overnight
Delicious this time, and, not being able to leave well enough alone, here's what I'll do next time:
  • Maybe use almond butter, just to try it
  • probably cut some of the granola and sub with sunflower seeds, nuts, flax seeds
  • probably add other dried fruit-- dates, figs, apricots-- in addition to the raisins
  • I will definitely score the bars before chilling-- cutting required some muscle.
Kill Your Television
We're almost TV-free in our house. We watched a short edu-video with Bird last night, and aside from that, I can't remember the last time it was on. Okay, my dad watched some golf last weekend. But. I'm not telling you this to be one of those judgy mothers that says "oh, I wouldn't know, we don't watch tv at our house." I'm telling you this because I'm proud of this tele-weaning even though it was in some ways accidental, and also because I've noticed a chill in the air and I realized that fall is nearly upon us and I have no idea when LOST starts back up again. Do you know? Will you please tell me? Because I have not missed an episode yet and I do not plan on starting now.

Need Recommendations
Two things:
1. Fiction to read. Your thoughts, please. I'm number 997 on the hold list at the library (labia) for everything I want right now.
2. Photo sharing. Seriously. Anyone have thoughts about shutterfly vs. flickr? anyone? Because I think I have to pay Flickr some money to upload the volumes and volumes of baby photos stored in my computer and I want to know if it's worth it.

Ciggins
Still smoke-free and on day 7. (my count was wrong yesterday). Husband on day 5, I think. I'm using a meditation technique to quell the cravings: every time I want to smoke/ think about smoking, I take a deep breath in and really notice it, understand that that breath is my life right now, then send a reason for not smoking out into the world on my out-breath. So far, so good.

What I'm having trouble with is what to do with the TIME. I've not been a day-time smoker for years, I don't smoke right after meals or in the car. I have a toddler so I don't go out to dive bars to see live music anymore. I no longer have a permanently reserved seat at happy hour. These obstacles have been removed. But.

Usually, we put Bird to bed around 8:30, clean up the house a little bit, and go sit on the back porch with a smoke and sometimes an adult beverage. We've fallen into this routine and it's become the time when A. and I connect, discuss, plan, et cetera. And now? We read in silence on the couch for a while and then go to bed at 9:15. Because we don't know how to handle the time.
But.
It will get better.

Times they are a'changin'.
A new executive director has been hired at work.
And it's a man.
And I am unexpectedly resistant to this change.
Because our little 4-woman sorority, while it was a huge adjustment in the beginning, has become a nice, comfy little arrangement for me. We have so little (and at the same time so much) in common and it really works right now. All I need is to share our little one-seater potty with some DUDE.
Meh.

3 comments:

Emotional Mullet said...

Thank you for this.

"I take a deep breath in and really notice it, understand that that breath is my life right now, then send a reason for not smoking out into the world on my out-breath."

velocibadgergirl said...

I really like Shutterfly for sharing photos. It seems super easy, and no one has had trouble viewing the shared photos.

I only have the crappy free Flickr account, and I don't use it since the capacity is so small.

I figure, with Shutterfly working and being free, why pay for Flickr? Though I have to admit I'm a little jealous of those cool shifting Flickr photo montages that people put on their blog sidebars ;)

Erica said...

I'm catching up on your blog so sorry to be commenting on such an old post...Fiction suggestions! I just finished The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank (she wrote Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing) and really liked it. Easy read. Also, Eat Pray Love is great if you haven't read it yet. And for gosh sakes read the Elephant book! I promise you will love it.